Potato waffles are crispy and scrumptious! Made with mashed potatoes, they make a savory or candy breakfast, appetizer, or brunch.
Desire a enjoyable technique to make a savory breakfast: strive Potato Waffles! These crispy waffles are to-die-for, with a crispy exterior and a fluffy, tacky inside. They style like a mixture of a hashbrown and a waffle, and wow are they scrumptious. Serve them up savory with bitter cream and chives (or as rooster and waffles). Or, they work simply as nicely served candy with maple syrup! They’re the proper concept for utilizing up leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving or any meal.
What you want for potato waffles
This potato waffles recipe is ideal for those who occur to have leftover mashed potatoes, however you can also make them anytime. The scrumptious tacky, savory potato taste can have you hooked! This one went over extraordinarily nicely in our household, and we beloved each the savory and candy methods to serve them. Aside from the mashed potatoes, you don’t want a lot to carry these collectively:
- Fridge elements: Leftover mashed potatoes, eggs
- Pantry elements: Olive oil, baking powder, salt, all-purpose flour
- Dairy: Shredded cheddar cheese, milk of alternative
Bought extra leftover mashed potatoes? Additionally strive Mashed Potato Pancakes.
Belgian waffles vs commonplace
This mashed potato waffles recipe works for both Belgian or commonplace waffles. Our private desire is Belgian waffles, since they’re thicker and look extra spectacular. (Right here’s the Belgian waffle iron we use.) Right here’s extra about the different sorts:
- Belgian waffles are twice as massive as common waffles. They’re 1 ½ inches thick with a deep grid sample. One serving dimension is half of a Belgian waffle, because it’s double the dimensions of a regular waffle — until you make the half dimension with ruffled edges (see under).
- Common waffles, aka American waffles are about 1/2-inch thick. They’re half the dimensions of the Belgian waffles, and the serving dimension is 1 waffle.
Recommendations on cooking potato waffles
For these potato waffles, we wish to prepare dinner them in a Belgian waffle maker however make ruffled edges by utilizing half the usual batter. We love the look of those: and you can also make extra waffles in a single batch! Right here’s the right way to do it:
- Ruffled edges: Merely use about ½ cup of the batter in a Belgian waffle maker and don’t unfold it to the perimeters. You can too do that in a regular waffle maker by utilizing about ¼ cup batter.
- Full round waffles: Use about 1 cup for a Belgian waffle maker or ½ cup for the standard waffle marker, and unfold it the perimeters. These portions rely on the waffle maker, so eyeball it and modify portions as needed.
Toppings for potato waffles
You possibly can serve potato waffles savory or candy, which makes them extremely versatile! We like them as a savory breakfast or appetizer topped with bitter cream and chives. However they’re simply nearly as good candy with maple syrup. Listed below are a couple of savory and candy methods we wish to prime them:
- Bitter cream and chives for a savory breakfast or appetizer
- Fried rooster for rooster and waffles
- Pure maple syrup for a candy breakfast
- Fruit sauce or compote like raspberry compote or blueberry sauce
- Contemporary fruit like strawberries, raspberries, or sliced bananas
- Whipped cream like do-it-yourself whipped cream
As written, this potato waffles recipe is vegetarian. For dairy-free, omit the cheese and add one other pinch of salt. Use oat milk, and serve with cashew cream.
For gluten-free, you should utilize gluten-free 1-for-1 flour. Almond flour is an alternative choice, however the pancakes can be extra fragile and also you may wish to make them smaller to be simpler to flip.
Extra waffle recipes
These potato waffles are nice for utilizing up leftover mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving, or simply as a enjoyable and distinctive savory breakfast concept. Listed below are a couple of extra waffle recipes to strive:
This potato waffles recipe is…
Vegetarian. For dairy-free and gluten-free, see the Dietary Notes part above.
Potato waffles are crispy, tacky, and scrumptious! Whip them up as a savory or candy breakfast, facet or brunch.
- Whisk the eggs, then add the oil, baking powder, flour and salt and whisk till mixed. Change to a spatula and stir within the shredded cheese, mashed potatoes and milk.
- Grease or butter your waffle iron. Add about ½ cup of the batter into the middle of the waffle iron (don’t unfold it out if it’s a Belgian waffle maker**), then prepare dinner in line with the waffle iron’s directions till golden brown: about 3 to 4 minutes relying in your waffle iron. Notice that this takes barely longer than a regular waffle as a result of the batter is denser. Take away the cooked waffles and place them on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet with out stacking. Make the waffles to order, or place cooked waffles in a 250°F oven to maintain heat.
- Serve instantly with bitter cream and chives or maple syrup. Cooked waffles will be frozen; place them in a plastic bag and take away the remaining air with a straw earlier than sealing. To reheat, take away from the freezer and frivolously toast in a toaster.
*In case your mashed potatoes aren’t seasoned with salt, use ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon kosher salt.
**Make small Belgian waffles by utilizing half the batter and never spreading to the perimeters, which makes for a ruffled edge look.
- Class: Breakfast
- Methodology: Waffles
- Delicacies: Breakfast
- Food regimen: Vegetarian
Key phrases: Potato waffles, potato waffle, mashed potato waffles